Saturday, March 01, 2014

The "Yes-I'm-Wearing-A-Cape" Cape


Tonight is the first night since the Winter Warmth Retreat that I haven't worked on my cape.  Each evening over the past week I eagerly retired into the office/sewing room after putting Adam down for the night and set out on a mission to finish tasks A, B, C on the cape. 

Monday night I read up about welt pockets and then apprehensively put one into the front panel. 

Tuesday night I added the second pocket and hand-stitched the front lining.  

Wednesday night I attached toggle buttons so that I could model the cape for the first time hands-free.

Thursday night I closed off the entire bottom seam.

Friday I wore the cape around the office.  Then in the evening I promptly added another piece of detail to the back panel. I don't even know what you call it.  A placket? No, no...not a placket.  I don't know what the official term is but I'll point it out later and you can correct me. 

So yes, one week after transferring idea to fabric I am able to wear my creation proudly.  If only Winter would just take a hike already.  C'mon Wiarton Willie, you're crampin' my style.

By the way, for those of you who have been asking I didn't work from any pattern but here's where I got my inspiration.  Beautiful, ain't it?


So like I said, I wore this around the office for most of yesterday.  And I did have to muster up a bit of courage to do so. I mean, there are definitely more women now than before I left on mat leave (the company did some major hiring over the course of a year).  But I'm still mostly surrounded by men and not just men, engineering men.  No offense guys, you just aren't the best audience for this kinda stuff.
Showing off a bit of lining
Ribbon detailing has become sorta my thing

At the very least some of you actually noticed there was something different about me and raised an eyebrow as indication.  Others commented "You're wearing a cape."  A simple factual observation. And I think two of you mentioned Sherlock Holmes.  Ah well.

Thanks Kelly, Magda, and Meghan for being so enthusiastic about this project with me.  I am thrilled to share these photos of the finished product with you girls.  And oh yes, an even bigger thank you for convincing me to put in real pockets when I was starting to get worn down.  It was so worth it.

I love this photo (minus our neighbour's wound up garden hose)
Oversized collar and toggle button enclosure
Piping makes for the perfect detail
Here's that not-a-placket thingy!
My first welt pocket
Inner lining hiding a middle layer of quilt batting for warmth
Shaping the collar - wear it up or down?

4 comments:

  1. You are my hero!!! And that is not the slightest reference to your cape being a super hero cape. This is far too sophisticated and posh. I have always marvelled at your quality of engineering and sewing when you design anything. It was a pleasure seeing you in action at the retreat!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing in my excitement Kelly! If it weren't for your retreat I don't think I would have ever set aside the time on my own to get this project started. I hope I'll be able to attend the next one you organize (and the next one and then the next one after that!)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I found out about your blog through Kelly's and I must say that this cape is stunningly gorgeous! Love the ribbon detailing and fabric. If you are ever planning to make another for sale, please put me down for one! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krystle! I can't tell you how wonderful it was to read your feedback while I was at work in the office this afternoon. It definitely made my day! I will keep it in mind if I decide to make another cape for sale. Get Kelly to organize another weekend getaway so I can find the time :D

      Delete