Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Babysaurus Rex Part One: The Head


Halloween is just around the corner and this year we are playing dressup!  Two years ago Mike and I attended a terrific costume party as Maverick and Generic Flight Attendant (guess who I was).  How funny was it when the host came out dressed in the same Top Gun outfit?  Looks like one of them had to be Goose instead.

Last year we wanted to get dressed up but I had trouble thinking up a good costume for my 7-month pregnant body.  I Googled a bunch of costumes for pregnant women but just wasn't in the mood to paint my tummy a pumpkin or a basketball....or fish bowl...or bowling ball. You get the picture.  We ended up just carving a Frankenstorm pumpkin and handing out candy to children in the rain.  No costumes.  Just nice, loose sweat pants with elastic waist bands - ohhh yea.



The really great part about handing out candy last year was that we got to see just how many children there are in our neighbourhood!  I was shocked. We ran out of candy waaay before 8pm and I'm sure we must have had at least 60 kids, rain and all.  I had no idea!  Now that I'm on maternity leave I'm getting to know the children in the neighbourhood and regularly see groups of them at the splash pad down the block (or at least I did in the summer).  It's great to know Adam will have lots of children around him as he grows up.  

We've decided that even though he won't understand what's going on yet, Adam is going to participate in Halloween fun this year.  He's going to get dressed up and sit by the door and "help" hand out candy. What is he going to be, you ask?  A Babysaurus Rex!

I got the idea from this site - now isn't the "fuzzy dinosaur" costume just adorable??  But paying $70+ for it at Pottery Barn Kids is much less than adorable so I'm going to make him one instead.  Yup...I paid a visit to Len's Mills and raided the scrap bin for fleece.  I would have preferred green but blue was on sale.  I'm sure a blue dinosaur is every bit as believable as a purple one, right Barney?

I've only finished the head so far but it's a pretty big accomplishment.  I modeled the inner lining after a hood on Adam's zippy.  I knew I wanted the head to be puffy so I sketched the outer shell to be roomier than the lining, creating a big pocket for batting.   After attaching teeth and spikes I was ready for stuffing - the fun part, right?  Actually it hadn't occurred to me (though it should have) that stuffing the pocket would turn it into a big awkward ball rather than a helmet-shaped dinosaur head!  There was no way it was fitting on Adam's head.  I also realized it only made sense to stuff the top portion of the head, not the part that sits at the back of where Adam's head would go.  Oh well, you learn by doing.



I ended up having to tack down a whole bunch of spots, essentially pinning together the inner lining to the outer shell.  This seemed to help shape the head back into a nice helmet-shape.  I'm eager to try the finished head on Adam but don't think it's a good enough excuse to wake him up so I'll leave it til morning.  On to the torso and tail - hooray!





No comments:

Post a Comment