Saturday, May 25, 2013

One Hat, Four Styles...


My brother thought the herringbone newsboy cap I made Adam last week was adorable and asked me to make one for his daughter Grace.  She's only a month older than Adam so I just used the same pattern size - easy peasy.  I figured the cap should look more feminine, although perhaps not bubblegum pink. Instead I chose two floral patterns that are just subtly girly and made it so the hat is reversible. 

Right now the hat can be worn as a "flat cap" or "train conductor" style and with either fabric facing out (hence, four styles).  Lemme show you:

#1: Train Conductor, Cream Floral
#2: Flat Cap, Cream Floral
#3: Train Conductor, Batik
#4: Flat Cap, Batik
I think the reversible part is pretty cool but it means I can't sew the brim to the body of the hat to better retain the "flat cap" shape.  If I did then it would no longer be reversible.  A possible solution is to use snap buttons on either side of the hat but I started to have visions of button prints left in the middle of Grace's forehead so I nixed that idea.  Oh well, my sister-in-law can decide later if she wants to keep it reversible or just tack down the brim.  Personally I prefer the "flat cap" shape so we might have to sacrifice reversibility for style.

The plan had been to give Grace the hat last night when we dropped off Adam on our way to a fancy dinner party (yay!) but that plan got derailed when Adam came down with a virus (boo).  Slight fever and rash, the doctor said not to worry. Nothing serious but just serious enough that I had to forego the party and stay home with a sick and fussy baby.  After some baby Tylenol and a good night's rest he was finally smiling again today.  I suspect he just didn't want me to go to the party.  Oh Adam.  Anyway here's a photo of him wearing Grace's hat this morning.  Hmm...just occurred to me as I'm blogging...better wash this hat again before giving it to Grace.

"Mommy, I just wanted to stay home with you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment