Monday, October 08, 2012

Cushions and Custom Front Door Rug


Shortly after we moved into our house in the spring I decided to make new throw cushions for the sofa.  I got tired of the yellow ones that I made while we were still in the condo - they just didn't pop out the way I wanted them to.  

We were out at Ikea looking for a simple dresser for the bedroom and when we got to the fabrics section this greyish brown fabric caught my eye.  I was surprised at the nice selection of fabric they have at Ikea, and the fact that it's good quality heavy fabrics for only $7.99 per yard (or was it per meter?).  Anyway they had really lovely florals in bright colours but I didn't want the cushions to be too feminine so this is the one I went with.  I made simple cushions with a navy blue side zipper so that the covers could be removed and washed.


This long weekend I got around to finishing a matching custom rug for the front entrance. I had cut out the shape for the rug about three weeks back but then got side-tracked with several baby sewing projects.  Yesterday I wanted to add some wide binding to finish up the edges and looked around for potential candidates from my scrap fabric box.  That's when I came across the Ikea fabric I had used for our cushions!  I thought it would be pretty neat to have a front hall rug that matched our cushions.  

As you can see from the photo below the rug is a pretty irregular shape.  I opted to do this rather than a simple rectangular rug because I wanted the custom fit to keep the floors clean and hoped that the cutouts would also help keep the rug in place.  The rug is made of pretty thick fabric but not quite as thick as typical front hall rugs so we're going to pick up some carpet underpadding to place beneath it.  That will give it a cushier feel and still allow me to throw this into the wash every now and then.



No comments:

Post a Comment